Sunday, September 25, 2011

Oh Look - New Stuff!

It has been even longer since I posted on this blog than my usual one...I haven't stopped writing poetry though. I even wrote some for a particular event that happened yesterday in 95 countries around the world - 100 Thousand Poets for Change!

Here is the poem I read at the open mic opportunity during this event - it is as yet untitled:

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself


FDR said that on the day last century

That will live in infamy


In turn, we dropped the bomb

That ushered in the nuclear age

And have been living in fear ever since


I remember, even in the 1970s,

Air raid sirens, crouching under desks

In darkened classrooms with curtains drawn


Then the Iron Curtain fell,

And the Berlin Wall came down


Then Iran took 52 of our people

Hostage for 444 days


Then Pan Am 103 went down

Over the skies of Lockerbie, Scotland


Then the first failed attempt to take

Down the World Trade Center

From its garage


Then the Oklahoma City bombing

Brought on by one of our own


Then the sarin gas attack in

A Japanese subway


Then this century’s day that will live in infamy

September 11th, 2001


The day the planes flew into the Twin Towers and the Pentagon

Both icons of our military-industrial complex

The one Dwight D. Eisenhower warned us about 40 years earlier


That day was also my youngest son’s ninth birthday,

And the day my then 15 year-old daughter made me

Realize that by huddling in fear, we miss the joy in life


That day and every September 11th since,

We focus on life, the life of my youngest son,

And the lives of all human beings who share this big blue ball

Called Earth as our home

No comments:

Post a Comment