Wednesday, April 20, 2011

20 Apr 11 - Surviving the Interview

No, this was not my experience this time - I have had interviews like this in the past though...


Surviving the Interview

The stress of an interview
a panel of people peering at you
as if you were something foreign,
asking you questions that may
or may not be relevant to the position
you thought you applied for, but now
wonder if you read the posting right

The most dreaded question of all
please describe your strengths and weaknesses

What I do well, people compliment me on
so I assume that's a strength

That's the easy part of the question to answer

Where I trip up - most often from seeing the world
through rose-colored glasses - may qualify as a weakness

But is it really?

And then, moments after you've
entered the elevator
or exited the building
or while you're driving home
or worst yet, at o'dark thirty
when you're dead asleep
you get that head-slapping, stomach-dropping
realization that you totally flubbed an answer
"I should have said this"
"I should have said that"
runs through your mind and you know you've
blown the interview

All you can do is wait for the call, the one where you hear
"Thanks for your interest in this position, but we've selected
someone else"

And hope you get the chance to get feedback on your interview
IF you're brave enough to take it for the sake of getting
future positions of similar caliber

Oh yeah, and remember to send a thank-you card to the
panel lead for giving you the opportunity for the interview

No comments:

Post a Comment