Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Bear in the Stream


The photo above is the impetus for the poem today - or at least part of it. I took myself for a hike in Hidden Falls Regional Park in Auburn CA today. It was noisy and peaceful, as only nature can be.

The Bear in the Stream

The sound of water calms me
as it rushes over the rocks

The quiet of the trail
envelops me as I trod along
listening to the sound of the water
sometimes faint, sometimes strong
as the trail winds along

The occasional bird calls
out overhead
and unseen critters rustle
in the bushes on the edge of the trail

I pass a small stream
with a rock that looks like
a bear's head in it.

I stop and take a picture of it,
then look around
knowing bears don't come down this low.

Or do they?

No, they don't, at least not today.

Today was simply water and trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment