Friday, April 15, 2011

Sapphic Verse

Today I tackle Sapphic verse - 11/11/11/5 - syllable count. Another traditional form of poetry. This one was inspired by the events of the day. I rescued a lizard who the cats had brought in - I believe for the third time - sans tail, and put him in the front flower bed this morning. This afternoon, I was out reading a book in the sun, enjoying the warmth, looked over to our planter which is sadly now without a tree rose due to the powerful winds a month or so ago, and said lizard was peeking around the corner. He scuttled out a bit, got scared and went back under the planter. I watched him do this two or three times while I was outside today.

Little Lizard

I rescue a lizard from the house today
The cats brought him in, they thought with him to play
Not today I say as I put him outside
In the front rose bed

I come out to sit, read, and enjoy the sun
The lizard peeks around the planter at me
Now he scuttles forward a bit, still looking
Then creeps out some more

Come to me, little lizard, I will not bite
Unlike the cats who took your tail and caught you
Ah, frightened by the edger, you hide again
Come out tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment